Thursday, February 25, 2010

Another day of walking the city

So here it is Thursday night and I must have had a successful day because my feet are killing me! Mostly I wandered around, looking at buildings and continuing to get my bearings. Walked through various neighborhoods, including Leopoldstadt, which is the Jewish quarter and the Naschmarkt. It is called the Naschmarkt because you can spend your whole time noshing! (I don't know that much Yiddish, but there are some times that the little I do know comes in handy!) Lots of fruit and vegetable stands, bakeries, small stands of various types and especially lots of sellers of Middle Eastern food- cheeses, humous and tzaziki, nuts and spices- mostly folks from Turkey and Balkan countries, as far as I can tell.

Went by the Secession and was fairly shocked to see two large advertizing banners on its front facade! Much more variety of architectural styles than in Paris, but the same sort of feeling since the inner city seems to have a similar height limit. But of course, many more new buildings constructed after the war.

Rich spent the day with the Fulbright folks and is enjoying how nicely they treat him! They really take care of their folks! He likes being called professor all the time- I think I even have to do that! I get to join him tomorrow for more lessons on history and politics in Austria and a short tour of the Ringstrasse.

Guess that is it for today. Have to watch the hockey game!

2 comments:

  1. glad things are going so well=) 2 blog entries already-you're putting me to shame.-Bec

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here we have yet more snow and wind, so you picked a good time to leave.

    Post some pictures when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete