Saturday, March 13, 2010

time is flying by

So now it is Saturday and I am not sure where the days are going. I am getting a bit tired of constant touring, so I am trying to settle in to a more normal existance. Thursday morning I went first to a morning yoga class. I liked that much better than the evening, but there are not so many of those. Anyway, it was a lot better than the first time, both because it was less crowded and also because it was the second time and I had more of the hang of it. I have a special intro offer from this place, so I will be going a lot at first. And I think I will try other places also, since I have found that I can sort of do the German classes.

In the afternoon, Rich and I went back to the Albertina to see the top floor (it had been closed on Wednesday). It contains a lot of their permanent collection which started out in the 1980s from the donation of one couple's personal collection- an amazing assortment that ranged from Monet and Degas to Rothko, with a major emphasis on German and Austrian late 19th and early 20th century artists. It made me realize how anglo- and franco- oriented my art history background has been, because there were many I had never heard of that were quite good. Really enjoyable viewing!

After that we went to the Cafe Tyroler which was a really traditional cafe, with all the old banquettes and light fixtures. I love the professional waiters all dressed in tuxes! This business of afternoon coffee and... is a great institution. We are trying hard to resist the many the wonderful pastries- often unsuccessfully!

After our break, we wandered into the Capuchin church, a medieval church where all the Hapsburgs are buried. The interior of the church is not so exciting, but the catacombs go on forever and are quite amazing. They royals are not so much buried, as entombed, in major and extremely elaborate sarcophogus(es)- one trying to outdo the next. Of course Marie Theresa and her "consort" have a room to themselves, for their double sarcophogus on which they both lounge together, looking at each other longingly! Not exactly a pious representation! Around the edges of the room are the many coffins of their children, most died young!

By the time we got home Thursday night, Rich's cold had gotten worse, so we stayed in.

Friday he had to go to school for a few hours, but then we met at the market to do some shopping and peruse the international bookstore we found and restock on some English books.
Went home to make him soup and nurse his cough.

The weather is not great. There is a big storm swirling thru Europe that dumped snow on Spain and has lots of big winds. We got some snow showers on Thursday, altho no accumulation, and major winds yesterday afternoon and today. Makes it harder to get out and about, especially when Rich isn't feeling well. I may have to go out myself today!

No comments:

Post a Comment